Tomorrow starts a new and it’s April 1st, April Fools Day, but I starting a fairly serious undertaking. I have made many serious attempts to get on some sort of diet and exercise regime, most times with a strong start only to fizzle out within a few days or weeks in a Twinkies fueled junk food bender and finding countless reasons to not get my ass of the couch and away from the computer and get some exercise.
I like most people tried to kick the habit and make losing weight their new year’s resolution, but the lazy voice in my head successfully convinced myself that it is way too cold to go outside and take a walk, but now the weather is nice and I have run out of excuses. So I have decided to get started by walking 2 miles a day for the next 20 days. I think it is a goal that will be a stretch for me but will also be within reach. I will be blogging my progress here and on Daily Burn. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow.
As often is the case, people choose to make their New Year’s resolution to loose weight and I am no different. Rarely did I have great or longing success in previous attempts, but this year I’m joining The John P. Health Challenge. John’s health challenge follows some simple but certainly not easy rules to follow.
- Eliminate as much sugar from your diet as possible. No more candy, cake or cookies. You are allowed Two otherwise illegal candy bars per week IF you follow all of the other rules.
- No sugary drinks like Coke (here’s why) or alcoholic drinks (huge calories)! In fact, nothing but water, unsweetened tea or coffee to drink! You are allowed Two otherwise illegal drinks per week IF you follow all of the other rules.
- Decrease food portions by 30-50% for all meals. Instead of eating whatever portion you are given, slow down while eating and stop after you feel full.
- Snack all you want, but only fruit, veggies or nuts are allowed!
- Exercise at least 5 times a week. This doesn’t mean long exercise daily! It means frequent bursts of exercise. Pushups and situps a few times a day for example.
- Publicly update the rest of us and encourage others to keep going! (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
The Health Challenge ends on Feb. 28, 2010.
A few things changed from last time based on our experience:
The Health Challenge is TWO months long instead of three.
- This time you get TWO drinks and TWO candy bars per week. That’s double!
- I dropped the exercise requirement from every day to 5 days per week.
I don’t think that it will be easy, but will be worth the effort when looking back. I’ll be posting everything at DropTheX.com and on Twitter @zachscott. Go to OneMansBlog.com to join the challenge too.
Dickie’s grilled chicken plate with baked potato casserole and au gratin potatoes. Yeah, I know, two potato sides, but it’s better than fries.